- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound zucchini, (about 2 medium), diced
- 12 ounce. plum tomatoes, (3-4), diced
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 large eggs
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan Method cheese
- Fill a large, straight-sided skillet or Dutch oven with 2 inches of water; bring to a boil. Add white vinegar,
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant. about 1 minute. Stir In zucchini and tomatoes and rook, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in 1 tablespoon basil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, reduce the boiling water to a gentle simmer; the water should be steaming and small bubbles should come up from the bottom of the pan. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the simmering water, taking care not to break the yolks. Cook for 4 minutes for soft set, 5 minutes for medium set and 8 minutes for hard set. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a dean kitchen towel to drain.
- To serve, top each muffin half with some of the vegetable mixture, an egg, a sprinkling of cheese and the remaining basil.